Sunday, April 15, 2018

Heartworm Preventative Review: Sentinel VS Interceptor Plus By Katie

When we moved to Texas and I was  researching the vet clinics, one question I had was did they carry Interceptor.  Its a full coverage (Roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, tapeworm and heartworm) preventative and budget friendly so that is why I chose to use it many years ago.   The clinics here in TX didn't offer it but they did have Sentinel which doesn't cover the tape worms (spread by fleas) but covers everything else important (roundworm, whipworm, hookworm and heartworm).  I saw images of it on the internet and got excited at how small it looked was but no site showed a size comparison.  From previous experience using Trifexis I know some pills can be rather large.  On vaccination day I picked up a 6 pack.

For April I decided to do a full review on Sentinel VS Interceptor Plus.

Right from the start I was pleased at its size and texture.  It was a true pill tablet and not a "chewable" tablet.   The Sentinel pill is about 1/3 the size of the Interceptor Plus.

The Sentinel pill was almost the exact same size as her Bil-jac training treats.

Side by side and....

....Standing up.

It even has an "L" on it.  It was meant to be!!!!  :)

For this portion sorry for no pics.  I wanted to give my full attention to Lucy to ensure she got the medicine.  So for the official "test" I concealed the pill in two bil-jac treats, got Lucy excited by doing tricks, gave a non-pill treat, then delivered the heartworm filled treat.  It took her just half a second longer to eat the pill-filled treat and it went right down, no questions asked.  After giving her the pill I let her sniff the package and she was not bothered by the smell.  I asked to to touch, tap and check-it.  She had not one problem with that either. To say the least I am PLEASED with Sentinel and hopefully this will lessen the issues we have had in the past of her not wanting to take her heartworm preventative and looking at me as the bad guy.

Over all thoughts are as follows.  Sentinel is budget friendly at about $7.50 (at our clinic) per pill.  Size, smell and texture made it easy to conceal and administer.  I am very happy with my purchase and ignorance is bliss on Lucy's part!!!

-Katie
The Momma

3 comments:

  1. Glad she took it! I have trained my dogs to let us shove pills down their throats as my girl is especially sneaky at spitting hers out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just get my pill shoved down me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're glad it helps! I take my pills with a little EZ-Cheez (the spray cheese stuff) on top of it.

    ReplyDelete