Monday, March 29, 2021

New AKC Title - Virtual Home Manners

AKC's latest training title, Virtual Home Manners, was introduced last fall.  This title is exciting as its all virtual but shows off your dogs skills.  

From the AKC website: The evaluation of a dog’s ability to perform ten home manners skills will be done by a video recording. Two levels of Home Manners will be offered – Virtual Home Manners Puppy (VHMP) and Virtual Home Manners Adult (VHMA). Dogs that pass the tests will be awarded these titles.

The Virtual Home Manners tests assess ten skills that well-mannered pet dogs need in the home setting.  The skills relate to the dog owner having control over the dog, being able to walk the dog (which is one of the most frequently cited activities that owners want to do with their dogs) and developing a bond with the dog during playtime.

The Virtual Home Manners tests are evaluated online by CGC Evaluators in the same manner that is currently used for Virtual Tricks. There is not an in-person VHM testing process. Virtual Home Manners is natural lead-in for AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy and Canine Good Citizen (CGC) in-person training.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 24 2021 I was finally ready to show my skills and start filming.   We began prepping for the filming by tidying up the doggy corner.  


Here I am testing out my kennel to ensure it is comfy.  We got through 8 of ten in one evening.  After that we lost the light and had to stop filming.  


That Saturday the 27th we got right back into filming.  First we did door mannners/walking on loose lead.  Then we had to build some agility equipment for the final clip.


With the magic of the internets....Boom...Done!  We have a jump, tunnel, and pause box.


I'm ready momma!


By golly that sure was fun!


After I literally collapsed into a pile of fur in my crate.  Momma edited together the final video while I rested.


Here is my official video.  


We submitted it to the AKC VHM group on FB on March 27th for review by a certified evaluator.  My evaluator was Kelli Whitfield and on March 28th, 2021 she reviewed my video.  I then got the good news that I had passed and received my completed evaluation sheet.  


We emailed everything into AKC right away.  I can't wait to get my certificate and see the little letters behind my name!  We sure did have a lot of fun filming.


Smooches,

Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment