Sunday, January 27, 2019

The PetSmart Training Academy - Week 2

Wednesday night I raided the closet to find the perfect outfit and chose my Flamingo tank.  I grabbed my Wellness Petite Treats for further research for an upcoming #chewyinfluencer post.  Then I threw in my target stick so I can show Miss Rachel I have been working on my tricks. I found its easier to use a target stick for boop training.  When momma puts her hand down I like to lick it, especially if shes been holding treats.  BOL!

Here is my official week 2 of training photo.  

Week 2 of training class was good and not so good.  Which is not a bad thing, we use it as a learning experience.  First the good.  Between classes momma and I transitioned my Boop from her hand to a target stick.  I even was able to focus on momma and doing my trick when we arrived at the training area.  I was less afraid of Miss Rachel and accepted a treat from her hand and pats to my back from her.  She even mentioned that is ok to tell people that approach me  "I prefer pats on the back or hip rather than my head".  I didn't know that was an option.  Then that way momma can reward me wif a treat and a neck scritch.  Which I always enjoy.  I didn't bark when I saw peoples outside the training room during class.  When  I saw people at the apartments between classes (even if I did a small barkie) momma redirected me and we had celebrations when I focused on her and trotted along my merry way.  Thats alot funner than being tense and barking my fool head off anyhoo.  On to the less than good parts.  Miss Rachel brought her dog Cooper I got very barkie and scared poor Cooper to death.  He even went in his kennel and wouldn't come out for nothing even beef jerky.  I sorry cooper man.  

Then there was a new doggie in class named Boomer the Aussie.  He is a super confident dog.  So when he came in I saw how confident he was and I got  barkie and he got barkie back.  When we were working on sitting nicely near each other he came close to sniff me and well it scared me so bad I got super speed barkies and snippy.  He didn't like my behavior and got snippy back.  Miss Rachel broke our focus and no one was hurt physically but after Miss Rachel used her loud barkies to break things up I hid under a stool for quite some time.  We tried to relocate to another part of the training area but I couldn't shake it off.  So we just stopped and momma held me.  We watched Boomer as he did his stuff and I was fine as long as he was over on his side.  As 6 approached the therapy class started trickling in and I saw Poppy the blonde chihuahua.  I reached down for a sniff and her momma brought her over for a sniff.  We both did fabulous!  I got treats and neck scritches.  Lucy the aussie came in and her and Boomer had some barkies but I just gave a gentle sniff in their direction.  I stayed calm.  Lila the Labbie came in and was calm and walked in a heel wif her momma again I gave a sniff in their direction.  We were offered the opportunity to stay and observe again but momma felt we should go home and rest.  

As Lucy and momma told me when I started this journey, #PracticeMakesProgress.  We are always learning and practicing to be good canine citizens.  Sometimes we don't always get along and we can use experiences like this to see where we can change our behavior to make similar situations in the future better. 

Smooches,


Poppy

1 comment:

  1. It's totally okay to make sure your momma tells people where you like to be petted! Momma always tells people to pet me on the side of the neck because if they come down to pet the top of me head, I think they're about to hit me and get skeered!

    ReplyDelete