Friday, January 29, 2021

Canine Genetics Lab at Clemson University - Gene Study on Orthopedic Issues In Poodles

 On facebook momma and I are in several poodle and Luxating Patella support groups.  We love connecting with other poodle owners and pets with LP.  We saw a post a few weeks back about a study being conducted at the Canine Genetics Lab at Clemson Univeristy.  It was for Poodles with Orthopedic diseases.  We clicked on the  survey and filled it out.


About an hour later we received this email:

"Thank you for completing the Toy and Miniature Poodle Orthopedic Disease Survey! My name is Lizzie Greif and I am the graduate student from Dr. Leigh Anne Clark’s Canine Genetics Lab at Clemson University who posted the survey. We are currently collecting buccal (cheek) swabs from poodles affected by orthopedic diseases. 

The purpose of this study is to identify the gene(s) contributing to the susceptibility of these orthopedic diseases, including Patellar Luxation and Legg-Calve-Perthes disease. Both Patellar Luxation and Legg-Calve-Perthes disease are prevalent across the Toy and Miniature poodle breeds. We hope to better understand the genetic component of these diseases and elucidate why poodles are more affected than other dogs. 

Can I send you a buccal swab kit to collect cells from your poodle? With the buccal swabs, our lab can extract DNA that can then be utilized to help identify a gene (or genetic factor) associated with the disease. This buccal kit includes free return shipping, we simply need your mailing address!

Thank you again for your response to the survey, and I hope to work with you further in this investigation to improve canine health!"


Its furry cool to be a part of a genetic research project.  Hopefully my sample will help them find out why orthopedic issues are so prevalent in my breed.  

A couple days later an envelope arrived in the mail.  


Inside was paperwork for momma and 2 swabs for me.


I'm having flashbacks to my DNA test circa 2017.


*lkasjdhflaksdjghvue* 

Yep I still don't care for that!

BOL but I seriously don't mind if it can be part of a research project to learn more about a medical condition that I live with.  So rock on Clemson University and research them genes!


Smooches,

Lucy


No comments:

Post a Comment