Today's Spotlight WF will be about the Kemp and Kell Depot
KEMP AND KELL DEPOT ROUTE CIRCA 1909
503 Eighth Street: Within Depot Square Historic District, National Register of Historic Places, Texas Archeological Site.
Railroads possibly more than any other factor were responsible for the founding, settlement, growth, and stature of Wichita Falls. Built in 1909, the Kemp and Kell Building Depot, now known as the Route Building, is an excellent example of the Renaissance Revival style of architecture.
Industrialists Frank Kell and Joseph Kemp came to prominence as a result of their railroad involvement, and the Route building housed offices for their expanding interests as well as serving as both a passenger and freight depot. Near the geographic center of what was then the hub of the town’s activity, the Route building is all that remains of the once flourishing railroad legacy of Wichita Falls.*
Housed here is also a law firm